ROW 1: SUMMIT CLASS AT EXCEED PHYSICAL CULTURE; WORKOUT STATION AT REFINE METHOD; CROSSFIT ROPE TRAINING; ROW 2: TRX AT EXCEED; KETTLEBELLS; THE FHITTING ROOM; ROW 2: REFINE METHOD; JUMP ROPE AT YMCA; CONCEPT ROWER INTERVAL AT EXCEED
What’s old is new again and nowhere is this more apparent than in fitness right now. Extremely popular are classes like CrossFit, Bootcamps, and other circuit training programs that incorporate the basic tried and true exercises and equipment. Kettlebells, ropes, medicine balls, Concept Rowers, and most fundamentally, one’s own bodyweight, are just some of the equipment used in these classes — all of which have stood the test of time and been proven extremely effective.
In circuit training, one moves from exercise to exercise, staying in constant motion and keeping the heart rate up, resting one body part while working another. The result is real athletic strength and conditioning that gets the body ready for any activity and looking fit, too! The beauty of these movements is they can be taken on the road and done on the go. STYLE OF SPORT asked Ed Cashin, Co-Founder of Exceed Physical Culture in NYC, to design a quick circuit-on-the-go which can be done anywhere and anytime.
Ed Cashin is a nationally recognized leader in the field of functional fitness with a 25-year career that includes expertise in TRX, Russian Kettlebell and sport-specific training. At Exceed, Cashin and his team of trainers offer a full range of classes that integrate Cashin’s SUMMIT method (Strength and Ultra Metabolic Movement Interval Training), a fitness regimen which allows clients to train more efficiently and effectively with a combination of high intensity cardio and functional strength moves. While classes might utilize various pieces of equipment, most exercises can be done with one’s bodyweight only for an equally intense workout.
Below is Cashin’s “SUMMIT-On-The-Go” workout created exclusively for STYLE OF SPORT. This is a no equipment necessary, fast paced circuit, performed 1-3 times, as your workout for the day or a little extra bonus round. We are just about two weeks away from Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer. If you still haven’t gotten your rear in gear, this highly effective routine will get you in shape FAST. See you there!
1. Lateral Lunges (10 each side): Step out to the side, bending the knee at 90 degrees while keeping the other leg straight.
2. 15 Bodyweight squats: Keep the back straight and knees at 90 degrees.
3. 10 Power Jacks: Regular jumping jack movement but add squat when arms come down and power back up.
4. Cross Mountain Climbers (15 each side): In push-up position, bring knee towards opposite shoulder and alternate.
1. Alternating front lunges (20 each side)
2. Push-ups (15 for women, 25 for men)
3. Switch Jumps (30 seconds): Lunge position. Jump and continuously alternate lunges.
4. Pike Press (12 for women, 20 for men): Body in downward dog position, fingers spread, elbows to outside, chin is tucked, crown of head facing the floor. Move arms as you would a regular push-up: lower down and press back up.
5. Toe Touches (45 seconds): Lie on back, legs straight in the air, reach opposite hand to opposite foot, alternating sides.
6. Snow Angels (45 seconds): Lie on back, legs and arm spread wide (like a snow angel). Keeping arms and legs spread, elevate both and meet in the middle in a “V” position. Slowly lower and repeat.
7. Plank: Hold 1 minute
8. Rest 30 seconds
9. Plank: Hold 1 minute
10. Stretch and you’re done OR Repeat Circuit!